Welcome to our Canine Manners Classes. We hope you and your dog will be joining us. The goal of this program is to enhance the bond between guardians and their pets through positive based training.
The introductory Manners class is a four week course that will provide guardians the knowledge to have a more rewarding relationship with their dogs.
The Manners classes instructs guardians how to teach, encourage, and lead their dogs to behave well, be safe, and be their best selves.
Our next weekly class begins Saturday October 4th contact us (970.626.2273) to hold your spot.
Manners classes vary on time of the week but are typically a weeknight or Saturday. They take place at the Second Chance Animal Resource Center - 177 County Rd 10, Ridgway.
- watch me
- loose leash walking
- lie down
- come when called
- and more...
However, our classes are more than just training and are also a fun way for guardians and dogs to engage and develop a deeper connection and understanding of each other. Guardians will learn how to communicate effectively with their dogs and bond with through attention, praise, treats, and positive leadership.
Manners Class Policies:
- To cover staff time and resources for the class, guardians with dogs who were not adopted from Second Chance are asked to donate $75.00 to $100.00.
- To encourage attendance, a $50.00 deposit must be paid by all attendees (including Second Chance alumni) to secure a space in class.
- All participating dogs must be altered (spayed or neutered) and current on Rabies and DHPV – Please bring current records to class.
- We cannot accept aggressive dogs into class - please discuss any concerns with us in advance of the course.
- All dogs will be on leash at ALL times.
Plan for a successful class. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the first class with paperwork, donation, and the following tools:
- Well fitted flat collars only
- 4 or 6 foot leashes – no retractable leashes
- A lot of soft small treats, hot dogs or other high value treats
- Comfortable shoes, layered clothing
- Positive training requires using many treats. Do not feed your dog prior to class to ensure an interest in the treats and a limited weight gain
- Walk your dog 20-30 minutes prior to class to drain excited energy
We Look forward to seeing you and your dog in class!