Kittens

PET

Puppy

COLUMN

Rat Poison Risks Pets Lives

My name is Ivy and my Second Chance Pet Column message of the week is: rat poison kills dogs - so don’t ever use it. But, since the one person out there that does not read the Pet Column is going to be the one that still uses rat poison around their home, I thought I’d best broaden the scope of this article with some advice on what to do if your dog does consume the nasty stuff.

If you even suspect that your dog has come into contact with rat poison, seek veterinary care immediately. If your dog ate rat poison, you may notice lethargy, difficulty breathing, pale gums, coughing, vomiting and/or sneezing blood, seizure and collapse. Getting your dog to a veterinarian right away should be your first priority and either bring the ingested rat poison container with you to the vet or know the name of it.

Although getting the stuff immediately out of your dog’s system is critical I strongly recommended that you call the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) and consult with them and/or your veterinarian before trying to make your dog vomit.

Treatment for a dog who ate rat poison varies depending on how long it has been since the dog was exposed to it. According to the ASPCA, if caught within six hours, inducing vomiting to minimize absorption is recommended but if it has been longer than six hours, vomiting is not recommended. In that case, veterinarians will likely treat the dog with medications and fluids designed to try and block the rat poison from absorption into the body, and increase flushing the toxin from the body.

Time is of the essence when it comes to treatment, as prognosis depends on how long after ingestion treatment is started and how much was ingested as well as the dog’s age and health. Dogs ingesting rat poison can get very sick very quickly, and exposure can be fatal, particularly for dogs with kidney issues.

So, my final recommendation to all is to just stop using the horrific poison altogether and opt for more humane methods of removing rodents from home environments. Now on to the primary purpose of this week’s Pet Column, to introduce myself to all the potential folks out there looking for a new best furry friend.

I am an elegant, two year young Anatolian Shepherd/Lab mix. I came to Second Chance from another shelter that was experiencing overcrowding so I am glad to be here but ready for a real home. I am a very happy and patient girl that loves to hike and play with my human friends and other dogs that are calm like me. Stay Calm & Play On is my motto, let me be the peaceful companion in your life…

Second Chance Humane Society Animal Resource Center and Thrift Shops service San Miguel, Ouray & Montrose Counties. Call the SCHS Helpline at 626-2273 to report a lost pet, learn about adopting a homeless pet, or about the SCHS Spay/Neuter, Volunteer, Feral Cat, or other Programs. View our shelter pets and services online: www.adoptmountainpets.org.

 

 

Second Chance Humane Society Animal Resource Center and Thrift Shops service San Miguel, Ouray and Montrose counties. Call the SCHS Helpline at 970-626-2273 to report a lost pet or to learn about adopting a homeless pet and the SCHS spay/neuter, volunteer, feral cat or other programs. View our shelter pets and services at adoptmountainpets.org.

Our animals

Shelter Hours

Open Tuesday - Saturday

Animal Resource Center
11 am - 6 pm

Cat Castle
11 am - 6 pm

Dog Den
11 am - 5:45 pm

Address

PO Box 2096 [mailing]
177 County Road 10
Ridgway, CO 81432

Get our Newsletter

Contact

Phone
(970) 626-2273
animalcare@adoptmountainpets.org

Ridgway thrift
(970) 626-3233

Telluride thrift
(970) 728-1100

Second Chance Humane Society

Follow Second Chance on Facebook!

Second Chance Humane Society
Managed by Peak Media Company LLC