Man vs. Hair
Dear Pet Column,
My boyfriend has been complaining about my shedding dog. Don’t worry though - as my dog doesn’t complain about my boyfriend’s snoring or whining I know which one I will keep if I have to choose. But is there a way reduce the shedding so I can keep both men in my life?
Sincerely, Torn Between Two Loves
Hi Torn, my name is Woodstock and I would love to spread peace and harmony in your life by helping you manage your dog’s shedding. Just follow these easy tips:
- Tell your boyfriend to just deal with it – it is only hair. Sorry, I couldn’t help it…but as a homeless pet I am allowed to poke fun at human sensitivities (as they so often are the cause of pet homelessness). But on a more serious note - shedding is a natural part of your pet’s life and the life of a pet owner. It is a small concession to having a huggable, loving, and fun pet.
- Groom your dog regularly – daily if possible. This keeps the hair on the brush and into the trash rather than on your boyfriend’s favorite Tshirt. And most pets really enjoy grooming so it is a win-win!
- Bathe your dog regularly. This is particularly important during the seasonal shedding periods of the year. Most pets have a shedding period in the spring and fall (this cycle may not be consistent with indoor only pets).
- Feed an appropriate pet food. A pet's coat is often a reflection of what they eat. Feed a high quality food with good digestible protein sources.
- Experiment with “de-shedding” products. Although I don’t have formal recommendations, I have heard positive reports about several grooming tools and products designed to aid in reducing shedding.
- If your pet is shedding abnormally larger amounts than usual consult a veterinarian. Physical and/or emotional problems can cause large, abnormal amounts of shedding. Also, it is not normal for your pets coat to thin with age or develop bald spots – again take your pet to the vet if this occurs.
- Work on deepening the bond between your dog and boyfriend. Go on fun hikes or teach your dog to fetch your boyfriend a beer or slippers. Your human beau will likely soon grow fond of picking hair from his clothing, seeing the hair as a little love note from your dog.
- If all your efforts do not work – definitely ditch the dude and thank the dog...
I am a syrupy sweet natured handsome brown brindle coated low shedding bull mix that could melt any man’s heart. At only 3 ½ years young I enjoy active days, goofing around and playing fetch, and candle lit dinners. I haven’t met a person yet who I didn’t like and who didn’t like me…