Interested in a working with Second Chance Humane Society? Have a passion for animal welfare? Our Mission IS Connecting People, Pets, and Community while Saving Lives.
Submit an application for employment today! Apply your talents & skills toward saving animals' lives.
PET CARE SPECIALIST:
This position works under the direct supervision of the Shelter Manager as an integral part of a close team. The pet care staff provides care for shelter dogs and cats as well and all aspects of customer service. Willingly assist public in all aspects of shelter programs. Share information to enhance the public's knowledge of animal welfare as well as their knowledge of the Humane Society's mission and programs.
We are seeking a passionate leader to join our team. We are located on a 52 acre ranch in the beautiful and unique community of Ridgway CO (located in the stunning SW region of Colorado, just 40 minutes from Telluride and 90 minutes from Grand Junction) that is growing in size due to its breathtaking scenery, healthy lifestyle and growing reputation as a creative district for arts and food. We offer housing options, and all of the outdoor adventure and nature you want to enjoy.
Second Chance is in a very exciting time of growth, offering expanded community programs and services as well as robust enrichment-based sheltering. We work hard to provide above average care of our shelter pets while supporting our community in doing the same.
We are a well established nonprofit organization serving a tri-county region for 28 years now. We believe people and pets live better together.
The Shelter Manager at Second Chance provides management services required for daily operations of the shelter, and shelter programs reflecting the philosophy of the organization’s mission and values. The Shelter Manager presents Second Chance Humane Society to the public with the highest level of professional practice and is responsible for supervising or performing all aspects of animal care and shelter operations, including admissions, adoptions, treatment and community outreach programs and services. The shelter manager provides operational reports to the Director and is responsible for supervising, training and providing support for the shelter staff and volunteers.
- Ensure the well being and humane treatment of shelter animals.
- Oversee daily cleaning of kennels, facilities, and public areas while monitoring appropriate disease control practices.
- Evaluate incoming shelter animals to determine their status while in SCHS care, including disposition of sick and injured animals.
- Manage animal transfers within the medical, behavioral and regulatory confines of the Transfer Program
- Manage and track disease and health problems at the shelter under the direction of a veterinarian.
- Manage Dog Training program to improve adoptability of dogs for use on as-needed basis
- Manage animal mental and physical enrichment programs and schedules.
- Assist with adoptions, admissions, and euthanasia when necessary.
- Oversee community programs that further the SCHS mission, such as community medical, community behavioral training, etc.
- Work with Marketing Manager in providing content and images for promotion of shelter adoptions and outreach programs
- Organize and manage the Mobile Adoption Program and assist with scheduling and planning special events.
- Oversee the Spay/Neuter Financial Assistance Program including spay/neuter clinics and vouchers.
- Provide support for other Community Outreach Programs when required.
- Set the standard for staff behavior, attitude and customer service.
- Hiring, evaluating, training and terminating shelter employees in accordance with established policies.
- Coordinate work schedule for staff, volunteers, and community service members.
- Meet regularly with staff to set goals, review procedures, discuss workplace issues and share ideas.
- Ensure that the shelter staff and volunteers are trained in basic animal handling techniques and receive adequate training, equipment and support to fulfill the responsibilities of their roles.
- Provide motivational and growth opportunities for self and the staff through education, training, recognition of accomplishments and other incentives.
- Develop and maintain work standards, shelter operations, and personnel policies and procedures, ensuring they are understood and practiced by personnel.
- Provide shelter operations budget oversight, reporting, and projections to the Director for monthly Board approval.
- Maintain appropriate files, records, and statistics that are backed up daily.
- Monitor shelter conditions and operations to improve efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Maintain professional relationships with others in the animal welfare industry.
- Coordinate advertising/marketing needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Promote adoptions and seek means of increasing adoption rate.
- Provide quality customer service.
- Maintain shelter facilities and equipment in good repair
- Work with vendors, service providers, and contractors to complete facility and property maintenance and repairs.
- Positively engage with customers and be solution oriented with all customer concerns and questions.
- Communicate with other animal rescue agencies and organizations regarding animal placement, environmental enrichment, best practices, etc.
- Assist with coordinating and organizing tours, meetings, volunteer groups.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in supervisory or leadership role in shelter operations
- Animal behavioral assessment and training
- In-depth knowledge of current animal shelter enrichment strategies and protocols.
- 1-2 years of management/volunteer coordination experience
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Professional demeanor & communication skills, experienced with conflict resolution
- Able to work well as part of a team
- Highly detailed and organized self-starter and innovator
- Ability to multitask, prioritize in line with organizational priorities, deal with a certain level of expected chaos and be able to meet deadlines
- Able to work weekends and holidays as necessary
- Computer literate with strong data collection and reporting skills
- Proficient with Microsoft, Google Docs, social media, Facebook, Excel
- Starting salary range $40,000 - $50,000
- Onsite housing
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
The Shelter Manager position provides for employee housing on the shelter property. To apply for this position please send a resume and three references to: email@example.com