A Moment of Thanks-Giving
A lonely kitten is hiding in a ditch, left to fend for himself. The sun is sinking. He is cold, frightened, hungry, and feeling quite miserable. A woman is jogging by and he decides to squeak out a plea for help. She hears him. Her arms are warm and comforting and he burrows his head into them.
He is taken to Second Chance Humane Society. He is cuddled and provided soft bedding and more food and water than he has ever seen. He relaxes into a deep sleep, dreaming happily of his new family that will come and take him home forever….
Happy Thanksgiving Week Pet Column Readers! As the story above illustrates, there are many reasons for Second Chance pets to be thankful. I am the chosen spokeskitty offering up some true gratitude from current, past, and future homeless pets throughout San Miguel, Ouray and Montrose Counties and beyond.
My name is Jelly Bean a playful 4-month kitten that is grateful for the second chance I have been given. My misfortune of being homeless is countered by the fortune of being homeless in a community that is so supportive of pets in my situation. There are so many amazing people, businesses and organizations throughout the area to be thankful for. You each know who you are, but let me summarize:
- the big-hearted volunteers that come in to comfort and play with me and my shelter pals, as well as those that open up their homes to foster pets with special needs;
- the countless businesses and service providers that support our care through donations and auction items;
- the volunteers that sweat away at the Thrift Shop and at events like our mobile adoptions and fun-raisers;
- all the individual donors and area governments and foundations that provide financial support for shelter and program operations;
- the widespread public who shop and donate at the Second Chance Thrift Shops, attend our events and support us in endless ways;
- the collaborative networks that have been developed amongst animal control and welfare agencies regionally and throughout Colorado;
- the dedicated and hardworking Second Chance Board Members;
And last, but far from least, we feel very fortunate for our incredible shelter and thrift shop staff whose selfless work provides such compassionate care for all of us here at the shelter. As many of you know our Second Chance home is more than a shelter and we find comfort, love, rehabilitation, security, and overwhelming kindness from our friends here – and I am not just saying this to get an extra pinch of catnip!
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Come visit us whenever you get a chance – we’ll be waiting…p.s. I will be the adorably soft and friendly little guy who will come running to greet you with a squeak and a purr.
Second Chance Humane Society Animal Resource Center and Thrift Shops service San Miguel, Ouray & Montrose Counties. Call the SCHS Helpline at 626-2273 to report a lost pet, learn about adopting a homeless pet, or about the SCHS Spay/Neuter, Volunteer, Feral Cat, or other Programs. View our shelter pets and services online: www.adoptmountainpets.org.